My life with Crohn's Disease is far from simple. It affects me every single minute of every single day whether I like it or not. My life, though not dominated by my disease, will always be affected by Crohn's Disease. This is my story.
I was 17 years old when I was diagnosed. I started experiencing symptoms about 8 months before "officially" being diagnosed with Crohn's. I was hoping it would go away, but once my parents started noticing my symptoms and how bad it had gotten, we went to the doctor. I underwent numerous blood tests. I went through many, many procedures. I tried cutting out gluten. I tried cutting out dairy. My doctor went through every non-invasive procedure possible until he told me I would need a colonoscopy. As a teenager this was the LAST thing I wanted to do, so it took me a couple months to open up to the idea. Finally, I got sick of being sick and I asked my mom to schedule one.
I had to be on a liquid diet the day before of course, and I was at school during that day...so much "fun"! Fortunately the day after I had a morning procedure and things went smoothly. In the recovery room my GI specialist told my mom and myself that I had Crohn's Disease, a classic case. He also prescribed medication which we picked up that same day, a medication which I would take for 8 years after that.
Fortunately after that point I generally started feeling better. I had lost over 50 pounds and was starting to lose hair because I was lacking nutrients. I had to take iron supplements because my iron count was dangerously low. I finally felt "normal" again, though I will never be "normal".
I have had two colonoscopies since then, including one 12 days before my wedding. I will document the steps of my journey in future posts on this blog, including medications, frustrations, changes, and everything in between.
This all began 11 years ago. It has been 11 years of immediately searching for bathrooms every time I enter a new store or restaurant. 11 years of stomachaches. 11 years of medication. 11 years of doctor's visits. 11 years of good days, and bad days. I am infinitely better at coping with my disease now, however it is hard to know that I will never be 100% cured. I choose to face it with positivity, however that is not always easy. I put on a happy face even when I'm struggling.
This blog will document the ups, the downs, the struggles, the humor, the hard times, and the lessons learned through my illness. It does not define me, however it has absolutely helped me to become a stronger person. The biggest thing I have noticed in the past 11 years is that no one, and I repeat NO ONE talks about Crohns' Disease, or colitis, or IBS because they are embarrassed and afraid of it. Yet so many of us suffer through it silently. I am done being silent about my disease. It's time to erase the stigma.
No comments:
Post a Comment